25 boys’ and 24 girls’ teams from different states from all across India have descended in Kolkata (West Bengal) to take part in India’s 30th Youth National Basketball Championship for Boys and Girls. Organized by the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) in association with the West Bengal Basketball Association (WBBA), the tournament is being held from April 30th to May 7th at the Netaji Indoor Stadium in Kolkata.
The championship will feature the best under-16 up-and-coming players from across India. Their performances will determine the best of the lot to be chosen for India national camps to build the roster for India’s U16 teams for FIBA Asia U16 Championships in both boys’ and girls’ divisions later this year.
All eyes will be on the girls’ squad from Kerala, who have won the Youth Nationals for the past three years, including last year’s tournament in Indore. Madhya Pradesh boys’ also won last year’s championships and will be looking to defend their title this time around.
Here is the full list and groupings of participating teams in this year’s tournament.
- Group A: Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala.
- Group B: Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha.
- Group C: Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Group D: Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, West Bengal.
- Group E: Karnataka, Chandigarh, Manipur, Tripura.
- Group F: Uttarakhand, Bihar, Mizoram, Puducherry.
- Group A: Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka.
- Group B: Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh.
- Group C: West Bengal, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand.
- Group D: Haryana, Gujarat, Manipur.
- Group E: Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Orissa, Uttarakhand.
- Group F: Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Puducherry, Tripura.
The championship will be held in league-cum-knockout basis. The finals are scheduled for May 7th. Prize money will be awarded to top three teams in both boys and girls divisions as winners take home Rs 75,000, runners-up Rs 50,000 and Rs 25,000 for third place.
Check out the complete schedule and stay connected with the results from the tournament via the BFI website.