Two Indian Men's teams - representing the cities of Bengaluru and Chandigarh - will be taking part in the FIBA 3x3 World Tour Beijing Masters on October 15-16. Each team will feature four players (three starters and a substitute) for this tournament, which will feature a total of 12 3x3 teams competing for the top prize.
2015 3x3 South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) Qualifiers in Colombo earlier this month. By securing the gold medal, they were able to qualify for the Beijing Masters. Despite their nomenclature, the team consists of players from several other states/cities of India outside of Bengaluru.
'Team Chandigarh' is the squad which appeared as 'Punjab Warriors' at the 2014 NBA Jam, and their victory in the National Finals in Pune last December booked their ticket to the Beijing Masters.
The 12 teams are divided into four pools of three teams playing in a round-robin first round against their two respective pool opponents. The top-two placed teams from each pool advance to a standard knock-out round which starts at the quarter-finals stage. The two best teams qualify for the FIBA 3x3 World Tour Final, which will be staged in Abu Dhabi on 15-16 October 2015. Apart from this main event, a dunk contest and a three-point shootout contest will also be held. Read more here.
FIBA 3x3 World Tour Beijing Masters Participating Teams
- Pool A: Novisad Alwahda (UAE), Zheng Zhou (China), Bangalore (India).
- Pool B: Ljubljana (Slovenia), New Taipei (Chinese Taipei), Jinan (China).
- Pool C: Doha (Qatar), Jakarta (Indonesia), Beijing (China).
- Pool D: Tokyo (Japan), Wukesong (China), Chandigarh (India).
- Team Bangalore: Basil Philip (Kerala), Rajesh Uppar (Karnataka), Siddhant Shinde (Maharashtra), Jeevanantham Pandi (Tamil Nadu).
- Team Chandigarh: Khusmeet Atwal, Arshpreet Bhullar, Arshdeep Dhillon, Rajveer Singh.
- 2:40 PM: Chandigarh vs Tokyo (Pool D).
- 3 PM: Bangalore vs Zheng Zhou (Pool A).
- 4 PM: Bangalore vs Novisad Alwahda (Pool A).
- 6 PM: Chandigarh vs Wukesong (Pool D).
The FIBA 3x3 World Tour was first launched in 2012. The former winners are San Juan (Puerto Rico, 2012), Brezovica (Slovenia, 2013) and Novi Sad (Serbia, 2014).