The journey to face the best in the continent must begin by mastering their own region first. India's U18 basketball men's squad - with ambitions to play in the U18 FIBA Asia Championship later this year - will have to first defeat South Asian rivals Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at the South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) Qualifiers for 23rd U18 FIBA Asia Championship. The three-day qualifying tournament, hosted by India, tips off today at the Koramangala Indoor Stadium in Bengaluru. It is being organized by the Karnataka State Basketball Association (KSBBA).
The Basketball Federation of India (BFI) yesterday released the 12-man roster for India U18 Men yesterday:
- Akhilesh Kumar (Rajasthan)
- Mahipal Singh (Rajasthan)
- Gurvinder Singh Gill (Punjab)
- Dildar Singh Brar (Punjab)
- Anmol Singh (Punjab)
- Gaurav Ohlan (Delhi)
- Sunil (Delhi)
- Narender (Delhi)
- Sagar Joshi (West Bengal)
- P Rajesh (Chhattisgarh)
- Pradeep (Haryana)
- Ambati Reddy (Andhra Pradesh)
- Coach: Jora Singh Ghulia
- Coach: Paramdeep Singh
Speaking about India’s chances to Deccan Herald, Coach Jora Singh sounded supremely confident (if a little too confident) "We definitely expect to win," he said, "I do not see much competition from the other two teams." No pressure, then. Here are the schedule of games at the qualifiers:
- July 5 - 6:00 PM: Sri Lanka vs. Bangladesh.
- July 6 - 6:00 PM: India vs L/O Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh.
- July 7 - 6:00 PM: India vs W/O Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh.