March 25, 2019

K. Govindaraj re-elected as Basketball Federation of India president


Basketball in India is set for a little bit of the same in the near future... and a little bit of something different, too.

K. Govindaraj, the incumbent president of the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) was unanimously re-elected to his post as president at the federation's Annual General Meetin (AGM) in Bengaluru on Sunday. The executive committee alao re-elected Chander Mukhi Sharma to his post as Secretary-General.

Govindaraj is a former player and also serves as the secretary of the Karnataka State Basketball Association (KSBBA).

Other elected officials in the executive committee include:
- Senior vice-president: Teja Singh Dhaliwal.
- Vice-presidents: Seema Singh, Om Prakash, Ajay Sud, Gautam Ganguly, Ajeet Singh Rathode.
- Treasurer: V. Raghothaman.

According to a report by The Hindu, Govindaraj and Sharma discussed several new schemes to help push forward basketball in India, which had been stagnating under their help over the past few years. These include the launch of a six-team women's league and plans to restructure the national championship.

"We intend to have a zone-wise competition before the final round," said Govindaraj. "We will have more matches, which will give us a chance to look at more talent."

During the AGM, the BFI also announced that Serbian coach Velesan Matic has been hired as the head coach of India's narkonal men's basketball team.

1 comment:

  1. I am Bhavani of class 10 . I am very interested in bhasketball . I used to basketball coaching in my own school . since this year they increased up to 2000/- , it was just 500/- when I joint the team in 2015 . Due to this my parents weren't affordable to pay so much for just 12 - 13 day of coaching for a mounth that is 3 day a week . I am now also very interested in basketball . I even play well and if i get good coaching I can play the best . I hope you get me into your team and give me good coaching I can bring up this nations pride. I live in Hulimavu near Bannerghatta road . Please help me in joining your team . I need to achieve something . I am an athletinc player too . I run long distance . I had run 1500 M and i can 5th place in the state level competition . I was even selected for national in the game named :"Flying Tennis" but due to Covid-19 Pendamic i couldn't go there too . I just want to Achieve something , I can prove my self by getting and good and perfect coaching.

    ReplyDelete